Tuesday, March 1, 2011

An In My Basement Room Sampler: Songs about Guitars

 Here is another issue in the series of IMBR Primer/Samplers.  I tried to stick with songs that feature the guitar as an animate object with human characteristics, but I wasn't too strict with that rule.  I also tried to use artists that you won't find in the top 40, so you won't find "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" but I did let the Jamey Johnson/Bill Anderson tune in because it is just so good.  The collection ended up being heavy on the bluegrass/country side of things so I'm not sure what that means.  What would you have included/excluded?



1. John Prine - This Guitar is for Sale  (from Twistable, Turnable Man: A Tribute to the Songs of Shel Silverstein) (Buy)
2. Tony Rice - Me and My Guitar
3. The Gibson Brothers - Vern's Guitar
4. Lucero - My Best Girl
5. Conway Twitty - Play, Guitar Play
6. Wrinkle Neck Mules - Put Your Guitars Where Your Mouth Is(from Let the Lead Fly) (Buy)
7. J.D. Crowe & the New South - Lefty's Old Guitar
8. Jamey Johnson (with Bill Anderson) - The Guitar Song
9. The Seldom Scene - Grandpa Get Your Guitar
10. Shadwick Wilde - This Old Guitar(from Unforgivable Things) (Buy)

Get the zip here!

No comments:

Post a Comment