Monday, December 20, 2010

Scott Miller - Christmas Gift

I generally fall in the category of No-Thank-You when it comes to Christmas music, with only a handful of exceptions.  So when I heard of Scott Miller's new EP, Christmas Gift, I raised an eyebrow and then forgot about the album completely until a few days ago.  I'm a big fan of Scott's, but I wasn't sure if he could pull off a Christmas album that I would actually enjoy.  However, I've since given it a few complete listens and it is actually a pretty good little experience.  And since I don't have a favorite Christmas album I guess it wins that title by default.  Scott wrote two of the seven tracks on the album.  "Yes, Virginia" relates  memories of Christmas with the family, but with a more sincere and appreciative sentiment than Robert Earl Keen's take.  The other original, "The Kingdom Has Come",  is a bit of a mashup of Miller's lyrics and a T.S. Eliot poem, but it turns out much better than that sounds.  Scott picked some great covers to complete the disc, including Prine's "Christmas in Prison," Neil Young's "Star of Bethlehem," and a bluegrass instrumental of the hymn "Joyful, Joyful."  "Christmas in Prison" is just as good as the original and should have been included on the John Prine tribute album.  Check it out below (right-click, save-as) and pick it up if you like.  Look, it even has the sticker on the front is you want to give one as a gift.

Scott Miller - Kingdom Has Come  (from Christmas Gift) (Buy)

Scott Miller - Yes, Virginia  (from Christmas Gift) (Buy)

No comments:

Post a Comment