Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Truckstop Darlin'

I may be late to the party stumbling across this band, but I'm damn glad I did. From the first verse of the album opener, "Tired Old Prom Queens," I could tell Truckstop Darlin's self-titled debut album was going to be a good one. But it wasn't until I'd let all twelve tracks play through that I realized I had an instant classic in my hands. I've always considered Wilco's - A.M. and the Drive-By Truckers' - Decoration Day the best examples of what alt-country is, but Truckstop Darlin' defines the genre just as well. The songwriting covers the essential dark country topics, but in a way that is unique but still familiar. Guitar hammer-ons give a nod to classic southern rock and the pedal steel mixed up front sets the mood on most tracks (see "Grandpa" below), with the bass and drums locking in to fill out the sound behind the gravelly lead vocals. The band [John Phelan (vocals/guitar), Eric Kotila (drums), Nick Foltz (bass/vocals), Michael Winter (pedal steel)] is based in Portland, Oregon so it may be a while before they make it to Louisville, so the best thing you can do for yourself is go buy their album until they do come through town. This is definitely one of the best albums I've heard in a long while and I am already looking forward to their next one.  Check out a couple tracks below.

Truckstop Darlin' - Grandpa  (from Truckstop Darlin')(Buy)


Truckstop Darlin' - King of the Highway  (from Truckstop Darlin')

No comments:

Post a Comment